Jan 4, 2007

Collective Chaos - Provisional Obituary

First day of January 2007 came with an email announcing surprise from Collective Chaos*. As I clicked the hyperlink the only thing that wouldn't amaze me was the end. Somehow there was a premonition that CC was nearing it end. There was too much chaos on ethereal that it would have burst if it had not been put to death. So the surprise wasn't a surprise after all. As I sit down to write the obituary, Saddam Hussein hanged the day before was on the airwaves

Collective Chaos was my first foray into a different kind of cinema. Coming from a place with an active film culture, some how I missed the boat during college. Adoor or T.V. Chandran movies that came and went like a whirlwind on the screens, were my only exposure at that time. Maybe the film society movement that was very active in the 70's and 80's went dormant during the early 90's. Maybe I didn't actively seek. From my first Yesterday festival to the last Luis Bunuel movie, the screening were an enriching experience. Dogvillie through Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, the range of emotion was varied and spiritual in its impact and convinced me why Cinema is the most predominant art form of our times.

The well designed mails announcing the screenings would arrive in advance with reminders as they get close. That helped to plan my travel in advance so that I don't miss the movies I wanted to watch. The website always had a synopsis with details about the director. Screenings were orderly and always started in time. Organizers always remained discreet. There were no animated introductions or analysis in the end. It was just cinema in it elements. The chaos was all inside. The format worked like wine that swirled in your head till it hit you. Like how Saddam of Baathist days created a sense of pride among the Arabs, CC made me gratified of being in Blore

But on the other side the collective was getting into a police state. I used to like the posters they put up snubbing mobile usage during screening, But when it came to actually shoving people of the hall I started to detest. It did irritate terribly when a mobile beeped, but there is always a dignified way of making people understand how obstructive and idiotic they are. And the purveyors always had a sadistic streak in sending them out. In most cases the culprits would have been a new member.

And the tone and tenor of some the emails. Instead of serious debate it became into a mud-slinging session. Some emails looked like they were written to provoke and would pass the moderator. The whole idea of monitoring the emails seems irrelevant. We live a world were we have fast growing encyclopedia maintained by a self-moderated community. Was it a Goebbels watching over our shoulders. Like Saddam the tyrant, CC started to take itself too seriously.

Saddam had to die but Dubaya made him a martyr. Collective Chaos has to be around but the contradictions let it end.


* A Film Society in Blore

2 comments:

ReadnRyte said...

Buddy,

Do not rely on film societies / festivals to watch movies...film festivals have become commodotised to actually provide anything new. I use information on film festivals to compile the list of movies that I wanna watch and then I go about acquiring them.

BTW saw Babel and Blood Diamond over the weekend. Both are solid motion pictures and you might wanna catch it.

Next on my list is Zhang Yimou 'Curse of the olden Flower', De Niro's The Good Shepherd' and Alfonso Cuaron's 'Children of Men'. Will do these over teh week I gez and let you know about them.

Rahul

PS...Saddam's hanging deserves a post, Salil. I am angry..

redwaterstew said...

My entire world cinema exposure has been through clubs like CC. Don't know if we can locally source European, Latin-American or Asian movies. Amazon and other sites charges a ton for them. Check out CC's schedule. http://collectivechaos.org/current_schedule.html . It is a virtual DB Where do you source them. You must have quite a collection then. I haven't explored the P2P community yet. It is supposed to be a good source.

And festivals except Goa still maintain their Virginity. Was at the Trivandrum fest and it was a 3-day orgy with 15 films in between. Was tripping on it for a week after that. A post on the festival is long pending. Chennai, Calcutta an recently Blore fests also had good spread of Indian and world titles. I wish they were spread out through the year rather than just Nov & Dec. Try this one http://www.byofilmfestival.com/ closer to your place.